Thursday 16 February 2012

Thailand

This was, as far as I can recall, my first Christmas away from home.
We had spent a few days in Phuket drinking Mojito’s around the pool of a five star hotel and sleeping in a tent at the unrated resort next door; it doesn’t take long to become a Mojito connoisseur.

Christmas was looming and we didn’t plan on spending much time in Phuket, plus I had reserved several beech huts for the Christmas period on a remote beach at the north of Koh Phangan. It was a long bus ride and ferry trip from where to were staying to where we were going. Upon arrival we were met at the ferry port by the owners of the resort that I had booked us in to. It was dark and the meet-and-greet was an unexpected yet pleasant surprise. Eight people (with rucksacks) all piled into the pickup truck (5 in the back along with all the luggage) and set off for a bumpy ride along dirt track roads and through streams and fords that warranted an amphibian vehicle.

I knew that the beach was remote when I booked it, but it turned out that the owners of the resort had opened up just for us! We were the first guests of the season. It was nice to get away from it all and this place was ideal for relaxing, however, the weather wasn’t on our side. Christmas Eve the sky became overcast and the water level rose dramatically.


I woke up on Christmas Day to find the sea lapping underneath my hut. Some of the guests from other resorts started to flee, fearful of the sea. I picked up my book and sat on this swing for most of the day enjoying the dramatic scene and atmosphere. 



Later that day I climbed up the hill that was overlooking our resort (I say hill but it took an hour or so to climb - through some thick jungle) I like this photo because it captures some of the drama that was unfolding and gives a sense of the scale of the beach. 


The beach huts. Shuttered windows, double bed, mosquito net, toilet, electric socket, and a cold shower.


The electrical generator. I love the rusty roof and the jungle like surroundings - felt compelled to take a photo. Electricity was only on for a few hours each evening and there was no internet access - wonderfully remote!

2 comments:

  1. I can just picture people fearing mass floods, as the waves break close to their front doors. All the while you're sat on your swing, reading and admiring natures beauty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photographs, Jonny - we both really like the swing photograph. I hope you have lots more to post.. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. See, I can avoid the clucky mother hen bit. xxx

    ReplyDelete