Wednesday 18 April 2012

A Veritable Concerto Of Thunderous Noise. . .


So, last week was the Shanghai F1 and I figured that I’d be a fool not to go and experience it. I’d never been to and F1 race before, and I have a tendency to push myself into trying new things. The tickets cost a pretty penny and it took over two hours to get to the Shanghai circuit from where I live, but it was worth it.


My boss, an F1 veteran, suggested grandstand H. I bought some tickets online through the popular Chinese website taobao – quite similar to eBay.I thought it pertinent to purchase ear-plugs given that there were scores of sellers littering the entrance. Turned out to be a wise move, the sound reverberation around grandstand H is somewhat deafening – so close to the action that you can feel the vibrations shake yer bones. . .

Met my boss and some of his friends at the circuit, got a lift back with his friends driver. Stopped for a swift pint in an English style pub (made me miss Blighty) and then got on the metro for the final leg of my journey.


I found the experience tiring, it’s mentally tasking keeping track of what is going on during the race – far more relaxing and informative to be sat in-front of the TV at home, but I’ll certainly do it again sometime.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a terrific time - I kept looking at the grandstands and wondering which one you could be in. Welcome back to the world of blog.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beg to imagine how many meals you sacrificed for that ticket. I do agree though, it has to be done, and I am envious you did it... I'm now searching for fun things to do at Brands Hatch I can't afford

    ReplyDelete